Visual Basic Client Project: Hi-Rise Access
Hi-Rise Access, based in Melbourne, is a consulting and engineering company specialising in height safety, fall protection and suspended access.
They offer turnkey solutions including design, fabrication and installation.
Programming Project Period:
February 2006 to August 2007
Programming Job Description:
Microsoft Access Programmer and Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Programmer.
Completely revamped an amateur Microsoft Access database into an efficient and maintainable Application:
- Converted linked text files into Microsoft Access Tables
- Converted repeated code into global Procedures
- Removed all Macros and added "Option Explicit" to all Visual Basic modules
- Added error handling and error logging to all procedures
- Removed redundancies and improved data integrity by reorganising the Database into a normalised form
- Added an option to Compress the database
- Removed spurious Events
- Added security to prevent users changing Tables and Queries
- Extended the Switchboard Menu from 8 to 16 options with Sub Menus
- Ran an Access analyser and eliminated errors, inefficiencies and problems
- Created a Diary Application
- Created an Enquiry Application
- Split the Access Database into Front-End and Back-End databases
- Created routines to import CSV files from an accounting package
- All Forms now conform to global Formatting, with consistent Colour, alignment and Size of Controls.
Added the following Visual Basic Modules:
- modADO - Microsoft Access Database handling routines
- modDialog - Folder browse routines
- modFile - File handling routines
- modForm - Form handling routines
- modGlobal - System Information, Error Trapping and Global procedures
- modReport - Report handling routines
- modShell - Facility to run external programs
- modLink - Programmatic Linking to a Back-End Database
- modSecurity - Security routines for the User and Programmer