All about the evolving Microsoft Development World
busy reinventing themselves. After the heady days of the early Windows releases,
they are saddled with outmoded code that must be forever maintained.
This is not an example of bad management or lack of planning, but the natural progression
in advancing new software technology. There are many dead-ends, many new ideas and
better ways of doing things, in the evolving software world. But it is important
for Microsoft not to be for ever constrained by obsolete software.
And they must compete against the new comers, Google and Apple. Google has largely
taken over the Browser market, and Apple dominates the mobile and Tablet world.
Microsoft's past successes now count against them. Whilst they need to support their
older software, a continual rewrite and remodelling of all their products is taking
Some examples of the new Technology:
- Windows 8 and Windows 10 with the Metro interface
- Visual Studio 2015 has largely been rewritten
- Microsoft Cloud computing and Azure SQL Data Warehouse
- A large amount of their software is now Open Source
- The Edge Browser is a complete rewrite of Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualisation
- Windows Phone using the same Operating System as Windows 10
Microsoft still has to provide an alternative to the VBA code needed to automate
the Office products of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
The following pages provide more insight into the new development world of Microsoft.